Gentle Parenting Or Simply the Relationship I Hope We Have



Ever since I became a mother, I have heard the phrase "gentle parenting" more times than I can count.

Every parenting expert seems to have a framework. Every Instagram reel has another checklist. One tells me to validate every emotion. Another tells me to let children experience natural consequences. Someone else says I should never say "Good job." Another says I should never raise my voice.

Somewhere between all those opinions, I stopped listening.

Instead, I asked myself a much simpler question.

What kind of relationship do I want to have with my daughter when she is thirty?

I wasn't thinking about the toddler she is today. I was thinking about the woman she will become, and the place I hope I continue to occupy in her life long after she no longer needs me to hold her hand.

The answer surprised me because it had nothing to do with parenting techniques.

I don't want to be the mother she obeyed.

I want to be the mother she trusted.

I don't want fear to be the reason she listens to me. I want trust to be the reason she keeps coming back to me.

When she is sixteen and makes a mistake, I hope she calls me.

When she is twenty five and falls in love with the person, I hope she calls me.

When she is thirty five and motherhood overwhelms her, I hope she calls me.

Not because I will always have the answers, but because I never want my reaction to become a bigger problem than the situation she is already facing.

And then I think even further ahead.

One day, I won't always be there to answer that phone. That isn't a sad thought anymore. It is simply life.

So maybe my real job isn't to always solve her problems while I am here.

Maybe my real job is to help her build an inner voice that stays with her long after I am gone.

I hope that when she finds herself standing at one of life's difficult crossroads, she pauses for a moment and wonders, "What would Mom have said?"

Not because my opinion should become her conscience, but because I hope I have spent enough years teaching her values instead of simply giving her instructions. I hope I teach her how to think rather than what to think.

And if, one day, she turns to her closest friend instead of me, I hope she has chosen someone who loves her enough to tell her the truth instead of simply telling her what she wants to hear. Because that is exactly the advice I would have wanted her to receive.

Just yesterday, my daughter had a complete meltdown because I closed her little umbrella before we entered the lift. To me, it made perfect sense. We were indoors. The umbrella needed to be folded. To her, it was the end of the world.

A few minutes later, after the tears had stopped, she picked up the same umbrella and spent the next ten minutes opening and closing it herself. Suddenly, everything made sense. She wasn't upset because I had closed the umbrella. She was upset because I had taken away her chance to do it herself. Somewhere inside that tiny disagreement was a little girl discovering independence, while I was simply trying to get to the lift a little faster.

That little moment stayed with me for the rest of the day.

I realised I had been so focused on the destination that I completely missed the journey she was trying to take.

And I wonder how often we do that with the people we love.

We rush to fix things. We rush to explain. We rush to protect. Sometimes, in our hurry to make life easier for them, we forget that they are simply trying to understand the world in their own way.

Perhaps childhood is exactly that.

One long experiment.

"What happens if I do this?"

"What happens if I say no?"

"What happens if I insist on doing it myself?"

Children aren't trying to make our lives difficult. They are trying to understand how the world responds to them. Somewhere along the way, we become their biggest experiment.

If we are paying attention, we learn just as much as they do.

I often think about how differently each generation has parented.

My nani parented for survival.

My parents parented for stability.

I wonder what history will say my generation parented for.

I hope the answer is emotional safety.

When I look at my own life, I see the best version of everything my parents and my nani poured into me. Their values. Their sacrifices. Their kindness. Their resilience. They did the very best they knew with the world they lived in.

I don't want to parent against them.

I simply want to parent for my daughter.

Because her world will ask different things of her.

She will grow up with artificial intelligence, unlimited information, endless opinions, and opportunities I cannot even imagine today.

People often celebrate independence, but I have slowly learned that life isn't built on independence alone. It is built on relationships. On shared responsibilities. On accepting help without guilt and offering it without expectation. Somewhere between becoming a daughter, a wife, a mother, and a professional, I have realised that strength isn't measured by how much you can carry alone. It is measured by how gracefully you allow others to walk beside you.

Perhaps parenting works the same way.

I don't want to raise someone who believes asking for help is weakness.

I want to raise someone who is kind without becoming a people pleaser.

Someone who is confident without becoming arrogant.

Someone who can disagree without becoming disrespectful.

Someone who is emotionally available without forgetting herself.

Someone who knows when to walk away, when to stay, when to apologise, and when to protect her own peace.

People often think gentle parenting means never saying "no."

I don't believe that.

Children need boundaries just as much as they need affection.

The difference is that boundaries can be given with respect instead of fear.

Will I always get that balance right?

Probably not.

There will be days when I lose my patience.

Days when I speak too quickly.

Days when I realise I could have handled something better.

But perhaps the goal was never perfection.

Perhaps the goal is repair.

To be the kind of parent who can say, "I was wrong."

To apologise.

To reconnect.

To show her that making mistakes doesn't weaken a relationship. Refusing to repair them does.

Maybe that is what gentle parenting really means.

Not raising a child who never makes mistakes.

Not becoming a mother who never gets it wrong.

But building a relationship where neither of us is ever afraid to come back after we do.

Maybe, years from now, she won't remember the umbrella.

She won't remember every rule we argued over or every time I said no.

But I hope she remembers how she felt. That is -- "Safe enough to tell me the truth. Loved enough to make mistakes. Confident enough to become her own person."

If she remembers that, I don't think gentle parenting will have been a parenting style. I think it will simply have been our relationship.


To the journey. And to raising a daughter who never has to wonder if she is loved.


Comments

Popular Posts