Understanding that love changes shape over time.
There are some moments in life that don't announce themselves when they happen. You don't realize their significance at the time. It is only much later, when you look back, that you understand something fundamental has changed.
For me, one such moment was when I saw my mother looking for me in a crowd.
Growing up, she was always the one I looked for.
Whether it was a busy market, a family wedding, a railway station, or a crowded mela, I knew that if I lost sight of her, all I had to do was find her saree, her face, or hear her voice. She was my compass. The person who knew where we were going, what we were doing, and how we would get home.
I don't remember her ever looking lost.
In my mind, my mother always had answers. She knew whom to talk to, what questions to ask, how to bargain, how to handle difficult relatives, and somehow how to make everything work. She wasn't just my mother. She was my safety net, my teacher, my therapist, my confidante, and occasionally my bodyguard.
For the longest time, I genuinely thought she would always be that way.
Then life happened.
I grew up.
I moved cities. Built a career. Got married. Became a mother myself.
And somewhere along the way, without either of us noticing, the roles slowly started shifting.
The first time I really felt it was during an outing. We were walking through a crowded place, and for a few minutes we got separated. When I turned around, I saw her standing there searching for me.
But it wasn't the searching that stayed with me.
It was the expression on her face.
There was uncertainty.
A little anxiety.
A quiet fear of being left behind.
It struck me then that this was probably the same look I used to have as a child when I couldn't find her.
Only now, she was looking for me.
I don't know why that moment hit me so hard.
Maybe because it made me realize that my mother was growing older.
Or maybe because I suddenly understood that the woman who had spent decades making me feel safe now felt safer when I was around.
I notice it more often these days.
When we go to hospitals, she waits for me to speak to the doctors.
When forms need to be filled, she hands them over to me.
When there is a complicated conversation, a government office, a bank issue, or something technical, she immediately says, "Tum dekhoge kya."
You handle it.
And I do.
Not because she cannot.
But because somewhere she has become comfortable letting me.
Maybe she trusts me.
Maybe she is tired.
Maybe after spending a lifetime carrying responsibilities, she simply doesn't want to carry all of them anymore.
And honestly, I don't blame her.
What surprises me is how strange it feels from my side.
There are days when I still want to be the daughter.
I still want someone to tell me everything will be okay.
I still want to call her and ask what I should do.
And then, in the very next moment, I find myself explaining medical reports, planning travel logistics, making decisions, and reminding her to carry her medicines.
Sometimes I catch myself speaking to her exactly the way she used to speak to me.
"Did you eat?"
"Take your shawl."
"Carry change of shoes, while going to the beach".
"Don't wander off."
"Call me when you reach."
The irony is not lost on me.
Life has a wonderful way of coming full circle.
What nobody tells you about growing up is that independence isn't the hardest part.
The hardest part is watching your parents slowly become dependent on you.
Not completely.
Not dramatically.
Just in little ways that quietly break your heart.
The woman who once held my hand while crossing the road now instinctively reaches for my arm while climbing stairs.
The woman who once introduced me to the world now looks towards me before entering unfamiliar places.
And the woman who taught me how to survive without her is slowly teaching me how to survive watching her need me.
I don't know whether to feel grateful, sad, proud, or afraid.
Maybe all of them at once.
What I do know is this.
Every stage of life changes a relationship.
The love remains the same.
But the shape of that love changes.
And now, when I see my mother searching for me in a crowd, I make sure she finds me quickly.
After all, she spent an entire lifetime making sure I never felt lost.
Maybe this is my turn.
To the journey, and to the beautiful role reversals in between. ❤️
"Don't wander off."
"Call me when you reach."
The irony is not lost on me.
Life has a wonderful way of coming full circle.
What nobody tells you about growing up is that independence isn't the hardest part.
The hardest part is watching your parents slowly become dependent on you.
Not completely.
Not dramatically.
Just in little ways that quietly break your heart.
The woman who once held my hand while crossing the road now instinctively reaches for my arm while climbing stairs.
The woman who once introduced me to the world now looks towards me before entering unfamiliar places.
And the woman who taught me how to survive without her is slowly teaching me how to survive watching her need me.
I don't know whether to feel grateful, sad, proud, or afraid.
Maybe all of them at once.
What I do know is this.
Every stage of life changes a relationship.
The love remains the same.
But the shape of that love changes.
And now, when I see my mother searching for me in a crowd, I make sure she finds me quickly.
After all, she spent an entire lifetime making sure I never felt lost.
Maybe this is my turn.
To the journey, and to the beautiful role reversals in between. ❤️



Comments
Post a Comment