Motherhood in the Age of Dinosaurs : Paakhi Dinosaurs and Doggy Dinosaurs
There’s something funny about motherhood. Just when you think you’re the one teaching your child about the world, you realize you’re rediscovering it with them.
Right now, in our house, that world is full of dinosaurs.
My toddler has recently started talking properly, and she has her own way of understanding everything around her. Dinosaurs, according to her, absolutely do not need their real names. She has created a far better system.
“Spinosaurus” is the “beeeeg dinosaur.”
“Pteranodon” is the “paakhi dinosaur.”
“Brachiosaurus” is the “giraffe dinosaur.”
“Triceratops” is the “rhino dinosaur.”
And “Tyrannosaurus rex” has somehow become the “doggy dinosaur.”
The cutest part is how confident she is while saying all this, like she has cracked a code the rest of us haven’t. And honestly, when you think about it, her logic is not even wrong. A Brachiosaurus does look like a giraffe. A Triceratops does have rhino energy.
And now dinosaurs are everywhere. She wants dinosaur toys, dinosaur books, dinosaur pyjamas, dinosaur toothbrushes. Every shop visit somehow turns into a dinosaur hunt. She spots them before I do. Tiny eyes. Sharp radar.
The other day she carried around three dinosaurs at once like they were emotional support animals. One tucked under each arm and one in hand. Completely serious about it too.
What amazes me most is how fully children commit to wonder. Adults casually like things. Children completely disappear into them. There’s no half interest. No scrolling away after thirty seconds. No pretending to be too cool. Just pure obsession. Pure joy.
And because of her, I now know more dinosaur names than I ever planned to learn in my adult life. Somewhere between grocery lists, work stress, laundry piles, and trying to remember where I kept my own phone, I’m discussing the difference between a T rex and a Velociraptor with a two foot tall human. Life is strange like that.
But maybe that’s what motherhood quietly does. It pulls you back into small moments you would otherwise rush past.
You start noticing excitement again.
You start celebrating tiny discoveries.
You start finding meaning in things that would have sounded ridiculous to your pre mom self.
Like hearing “paakhi dinosaur” twenty times a day and somehow never getting tired of it.
I know this dinosaur phase will eventually pass. One day the dinosaur toothbrush will be abandoned for something else. The books will move to a different shelf. The tiny roaring sounds around the house will slowly disappear.
And that’s the bittersweet part of motherhood too. While you’re living inside the chaos of a phase, you also know it won’t last forever.
So now I let her explain dinosaurs to me with complete seriousness. I listen to her made up names. I admire every new plastic dinosaur she proudly introduces into the house like a new family member.
Because right now, this is her world.
And for a little while, I get to live in it too.
Although I still genuinely don’t know what I’m supposed to do if we go to the zoo someday and she confidently asks to see the dinosaurs. Honestly, I may just point at a crocodile and hope she accepts it as a distant cousin.
“Motherhood is realizing that while your child is learning about life for the first time, you quietly are too.”



Comments
Post a Comment